Ms. Lauren Arthur (m), EC Teacher, Quail Hollow Middle School, 2018 Award Recipient
Description: The Page and Ed Kizer Beginning Teacher Award will recognize annually an outstanding beginning teacher who is a graduate of one of UNC Charlotte’s undergraduate teacher education programs and is in the first 3 years of his or her professional experience.
The award will be made annually in April. Nominations must be submitted by March 15, 2019.
Nature of Recognition:
1. Each year’s UNC Charlotte Beginning Teacher Award will be presented by the Dean during a spring meeting of the College of Education. The College will invite the recipient’s district superintendent and school principal as well as the University Chancellor and Provost.
2. A plaque listing the name of each year’s recipient of the UNC Charlotte Beginning Teacher Award will be prominently displayed in the College of Education.
3. The recipient of the Annual UNC Charlotte Beginning Teacher Award will receive both a stipend of $1,000 and an individual plaque engraved with the name of the award, the recipient’s name, and the date that the award was presented. The stipend is considered to be taxable income subject to withholding for federal and state taxes and will be a one-time payment.
Nominators must submit the nomination form by March 15, 2019 in order to be considered.
Nominees must hold a baccalaureate degree from a UNC Charlotte teacher education program and hold a full-time teaching position in the University of North Carolina at Charlotte 14-district school service region.
Nominees must hold a full-time teaching position in a regional school district and be in the first three years of the teaching career.
Nominees must be employed as full-time classroom teachers during the academic year in which they are nominated.
No individual may nominate more than one nominee each year.
No individual shall be eligible to receive the Annual UNC Charlotte Beginning Teacher Award more than once.
The Dean of the College of Education will annually appoint a Page and Ed Kizer Beginning Teacher Award Committee; three from the College’s Educational Outreach Advisory Board; two from the Southwest Education Alliance—one staff and one school district representative; and one representative from the College of Education Leadership Council. The Assistant Dean of the College of Education shall serve as Chair of the Committee. A representative from the Page and George Bradham Family Foundation will be invited to participate on the selection committee.
Distribution of Nomination and Award Criteria.
1. Nomination announcements will be distributed to Superintendents, Principals, and Human Resource Directors in the Southwest Education Alliance; UNC Charlotte Professional Education Council, and College of Education faculty.
2. Nomination materials include a completed nomination form and a resume of the nominee. The nomination form includes a brief narrative outlining the nominee’s positive impact on student achievement; outstanding commitment and effort on behalf of children and young people; and important innovation, creativity, and/or exemplary practices.
In early April, the Award Selection Committee will review all nominations and make a recommendation for the Page and Ed Kizer Beginning Teacher Award.
The final decision concerning the recipient of the Award will be made by the Dean of the College of Education after consultation with the Chair of the Selection Committee.
The Dean of the College of Education will notify the recipient of the award, as well as both the Chancellor and the Provost of the University and the recipient’s Superintendent and Principal.
All eligible nominees for the Beginning Teacher Award will receive a Certificate of Recognition and a congratulatory letter from the Dean of the College of Education.
For more information, please contact Dr. Victor Mack at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past Award Recipients:
2019 - Korrine Belfield, J.W. Grier Academy, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
2018 - Lauren Arthur, Quail Hollow Middle School, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
2017 - Oliva Kowalewski, Newton-Conover STEM Middle School, Newton-Conover City Schools
2016 - Stephen A. Wade, Quail Hollow Middle School, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools
2015 - Marissa Difronzo, Weddington High School, Union County Schools
2014 - Frances J. Estro
2013 - Marie Davis
2012 - Lakisha Howell
2011 - Christina Blanco
2010 - Ashton Davis
2009 - Ginger Burris
2008 - Crystal Watts
2007 - Ashley Roach
2006 - Susanna Stevenson
2005 - Katharina M. Denny
2004 - Amanda J. Kennedy